On The Menu

So, I thought I would start doing something new here. People ask me all the time, “what do you eat?” Whether they’re my spinners looking for tips or friends bored with their own recipes, I thought I would start a daily log of both my food consumption as well as my workouts. I stopped eating meat (beef, pork, chicken) about 5 months ago, so this will be a vegetarian log, but it’s really easy to add meat in to any meal. In fact, that’s how I cook around here. I start off by making whatever it is that I want to eat and then I just add a meat portion for the Irishman, be it a grilled ribeye or a lemon roasted chicken. I haven’t had a problem making the switch. If it’s a more complicated dish like lasagna, I just add meat to half of it.

You’ll also notice that I eat most of my food raw. I’ve done a lot of research on nutrition and how our bodies process foods. As a result, I try to keep most of my foods as close to their natural state as possible. That goes for sugar and salt too. I stay far away from fake sugar products because they are completely synthetic (for example, Splenda is touted as being made from sugar and it is – 1 part sugar and 3 parts chlorine – yum!).

Oh and you’ll notice something else – I do eat junky foods on occassion! (Gasp!!) I started out living by the 80/20 principle (eat things that are good for you 80% of the time and splurge the other 20%), but I’m closer to 90/10 now. The funny thing is that I just kind of gravitated towards things that were good for me as soon as I started thinking of food as fuel. I challenge you to eat a fried meal and then try and run for an hour. Can you say cramps?!?

One last food tidbit is that I don’t view junk food as a reward. As a result, I don’t feel the need to “treat” myself with it. I’m ok with anything in moderation (except for arsenic because even a drop will kill you) so if I want dessert I have it, if I don’t then I skip it. Easy as that. Ok, so here we go.

Tuesday, July 29th:

Breakfast (9am) – Whole grain bagel with light veggie cream cheese, coffee with half and half and sugar

Gym 10:45-1:00pm – Ran 6 miles and taught a 50 minute spinning class (the earlier bagel was a big mistake because I had a cramp for my entire run – tomorrow, something lighter for breakfast)

Lunch (1pm) – Veggie burger on a sesame bun (Amy’s Organic brand which is made up of actual veggies, not processed soy), pint of blackberries, pint of raspberries, a banana

Snack (3pm) – 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese and fresh pineapple

Dinner (6pm) – 1 slice homemade 4 cheese pizza (I bought a pre-made crust from the health food store made with spelt and flax seed – it turned out to be awesome!), a large romaine salad with white balsamic and olive oil, 1 pint strawberries, 1/2 a banana that Parker didn’t finish.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “On The Menu

  1. Constantine July 31, 2008 / 4:19 am

    You don’t eat no MEAT? How do you have energy?By the way, food logs are for people trying to calorie count!

  2. Cyn August 1, 2008 / 12:30 am

    Energy comes in the form of protein and complex carbs, both of which I get enough of. Don’t be a hater brother. You shouldn’t have such a narrow focus on the food log. They’re a great way to make sure that you’re getting all of the nutrients/variety (and in my case – protein) that you need.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s