So, Wednesday was loading day. It took about 8 hours to get everything loaded up and I did a lot of wandering around initially before I got bored and started cleaning like a maniac. All in all, the loading process went fairly well, although I have to say that an empty house is pretty depressing.

Since I had done so much frantic packing in the days leading up to loading day, I didn’t even want to look at the remaining work in the house. So, I took it easy for the rest of that evening and spent the following day running errands.

We left on Thursday to drive up and stay in a hotel since we were taking delivery of our possessions on Friday morning In the meantime, the movers told us that they weren’t going to drive up until Friday morning, which was good because I told the driver that I wasn’t sure the 18-wheeler they loaded our house into was going to be able to make it up the steep roads to get to our house.

When we got into town on Thursday night, we did a drive by and I was right, the truck was not going to be able to make it. So, we called the movers right away to let them know that they needed to bring a smaller truck with them to shuttle our belongings up to the house.

Herein lies the problem. The movers decided they wanted to get a jump on the move and they drove up on Thursday night. Without a shuttle. Well, a series of frantic phone calls and emails to U-Haul first thing in the morning resulted in us driving to a nearby town to commandeer a 10-foot truck. We found a local church with a big enough parking lot that the semi would fit and the Irishman charmed the church lady into allowing us to use it as a loading zone.

Ten hours and 10 trips later, our possessions finally made it up to the house. Even with all of the drama, the beauty of our new surroundings was not lost on us. Here I am following the Irishman to U-Haul the following morning to return the truck.



The mountains are so beautiful and it reminds me so much of my island. With wildflowers lining the streets and motorcycles dominating the sweeping mountain curves, we are so thrilled to be part of the community.

Oh and don’t throw anything at me, but in the dead of the summer, the highs are in the low 80s and the lows are in the 50s. I literally squealed with delight when I ran outside our first morning there and it felt like a brisk fall morning. Imagine how delightful an actual fall morning will be!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s